[R-SIG-Mac] RGtk, rattle, and GTK+ on Lion

Charlie Sharpsteen charles.sharpsteen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 06:17:40 CEST 2011

On Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:12:08 AM UTC-7, Erich Neuwirth wrote:

> As a few people have noticed rattle does not run on R on Lion. The reason
> is that it needs a newer version of gtk
> than the one we have thanks to Simon (downloadable from the att R site).
> I have read in quite a few different places that building gtk on the Mac is
> messy.
> Nevertheless, I tried, and I have been able to build a version in Lion
> which allows
> to  build everything and tin the gtk-demo included in the source package.
> I have to overcome two bugs in the distribution.
> This new version lives in ~/gtk/inst and the contents are very similar to
> Simon's
> /Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.18.X11/Resources
> I am not experienced in developing on OSX, so I am not able to build
> an installable pkg file which would install this version of gtk as a
> replacement
> of Simon's current version.
> Perhaps somebody experienced in creating Mac packages is willing to start
> where I had to stop and create such a package.
> I think that some other readers of this mailing list even might be as eager
> as I to learn
> how this can be done in an email short course over the list ;-)
>
> I also do not know if we need to recompile RGtk2 (and possible more
> packages)

A package manager could help with this.

For example, install Homebrew:

  http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew

Install GFortran and R:

  brew install gfortran
  brew install R

You might be able to skip this step and use the R binaries from CRAN---the
only caveat I can think of is that Homebrew doesn't build a Universal GTK+
(it gives you x86_64) and CRAN R might want to build both i386 and x86_64
versions of packages.

Install GTK+:

  brew install gtk+

Run R and install rattle: