[R-SIG-Mac] RGtk, rattle, and GTK+ on Lion

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Sun Sep 25 15:12:08 CEST 2011

As a few people have noticed rattle does not run on R on Lion. The reason is that it needs a newer version of gtk
than the one we have thanks to Simon (downloadable from the att R site).
I have read in quite a few different places that building gtk on the Mac is messy.
Nevertheless, I tried, and I have been able to build a version in Lion which allows
to  build everything and tin the gtk-demo included in the source package.
I have to overcome two bugs in the distribution.
This new version lives in ~/gtk/inst and the contents are very similar to Simon's
/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.18.X11/Resources
I am not experienced in developing on OSX, so I am not able to build
an installable pkg file which would install this version of gtk as a replacement
of Simon's current version.
Perhaps somebody experienced in creating Mac packages is willing to start
where I had to stop and create such a package.
I think that some other readers of this mailing list even might be as eager as I to learn
how this can be done in an email short course over the list ;-)

I also do not know if we need to recompile RGtk2 (and possible more packages)

And now the hints to overcome the errors in the build process

-=-=-=-=-=-==-=

Bulding GTK+ version 2.24.0 on Lion
Basically follow instructions on
http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/OSX/Building
outlined in section Procedure.
There will be 2 problems, so here is the description of
how to overcome the problems.

In your home directory download
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
add /User/neuwirth/.local/bin
to your path by creating a file named jhbuild in
/etc/paths.d/
containing just the line
/Users/_yourname_/.local/bin

Then back to your home directory
jhbuild bootstrap

You will get an error when building module gettext
in step 2/12.
You can stop the build by entering Cntl-C at the prompt
with the menu offering choices for continuing.

Now in ~/gtk/gettext-0.18.1.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/
open the file stpncpy.c in an editor and
replace the line 19 (or close)
    # define __stpncpy stpncpy
by
    //# define __stpncpy stpncpy
Run
jhbuild bootstrap
again, the build should complete now

Run
jhbuild meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap
this should work.
Then run
Run jhbuild meta-gtk-osx-core
You will get an error when building gtk+ at step 10/12
 At the error, stop the build process and do the following:
in ~/gtk/source/gtk+-2.24.0/tests/
in Makefile in line 95 (or close)
replace
	autotestkeywords_LDADD = $(LDADD)
by
    autotestkeywords_LDADD = $(LDADDS)

In your home directory again run
Run jhbuild meta-gtk-osx-core
The build should finish without errors.
You will have the gtk binaries and all the additional components (docs, headers, ....)
~/gtk/inst