[R-SIG-Mac] Using the Aqua Tcl/Tk theme by default on Mac OS

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Sep 23 16:09:44 CEST 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 6:12 AM, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:

> Le vendredi 23 septembre 2011 à 10:55 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
>> Why not?  It's easy on Mac OS X (as easy as on Linux).
> "As easy as on Linux" means "much too hard" for my intended audience. :-)
>
> I'm creating a Rcmdr plugin that I'd like people to install without
> typing more than two lines of code, and if possible none at all. But I
> don't care that much about the look of the GUI, that would only be a
> nice improvement.
>
>> You are welcome to contribute a fix.  Simon will no doubt chip in with
>> more details.
> I'll see what I can do, being totally ignorant of Mac OS X programming.
> A first step is identifying where the bug is, or where it's easier to
> fix (R or Tk). But let's hear what Simon says.

I didn't check the most recent version of native Tk, but the design of the native Tk was that it assumes that it will be the one driving the UI  - it didn't even check that it is being loaded into an existing application that has already initialized Cocoa. There were additional issues with the event loop, but more recently I think Brian had some success on that front.
In a spare minute (at the earliest next week) I'll see if I an get my knowledge on that issue up to date..