[R-SIG-Mac] Questions about .Rdata, .Rprofile and workspaces

Rob Goedman robjgoedman at me.com
Thu Sep 8 18:33:09 CEST 2011

Hi Heidi,

On Sep 8, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Heidi Bissell wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>

>> 1) Can you try to set the 'Clean up history items'?
>
> Yes!  That did the trick!  Thank you.

Great.

>> 2) Move .Rprofile to your home directory (not your R working directory).
>
> This also worked (along with setting R preferences to default to that
> directory as well),

You mean the R.app preferences? That should not be necessary if there is no .Rprofile in your R.app working dir.

I believe your understanding as expressed in your first email is correct:

R (not R.app) will indeed search in the current directory and then in your home directory for a .Rprofile.
R.app will change to the specified working dir before invoking R so if there is a .Rprofile in your R.app working dir that would take precedence.

So something fishy is going on here.

Are the permissions for .Rprofile in your home and working dirs identical? Can you send me the 2 .Rprofile files?

Rob