[R-SIG-Mac] Questions about .Rdata, .Rprofile and workspaces

Heidi Bissell hbissell at wisc.edu
Thu Sep 8 16:50:32 CEST 2011

I've been fiddling with some of the default R locations and settings
and have created a muddle.  I'm using the R.app GUI.

My questions:

1) When I start a new session, hitting the up arrow once gives me one
long printout of every command from my previous session, rather than
taking me back one command at a time like it does within the current
session.  How can I get the one-line-at-a-time-type history from the
previous session?

2) When I created my .Rprofile file (in my default working directory,
see below), I added a few items.  Each time I open the R.app, those
original items load.  However, I have since edited the .Rprofile file
to include some additional settings and these never load.  If I open
the .Rprofile text file, it includes the new commands. Did R save my
original .Rprofile somewhere else?  I know (but don't really
understand) that there is a hierarchy of .Rprofile files, but I don't
know where to look for them.  There aren't in my ~/Library/R folder.
The only place I can find a .Rprofile is where I manually created it
in my working directory.

Thank you,

Heidi

Mac OS X 7.0 (Lion)
R 32 bit GUI 2.13.1

In Preferences > Startup:
   Directory: ~Documents/Stats (always apply)
   History: (checked) Read history file on startup, location is
~/Documents/Stats/.Rapp.history (nothing else checked)
   Save Workspace on Exit: No