[R-SIG-Mac] Cannot install RPostgreSQL from source but I have gcc

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 25 15:55:05 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2011, at 2:52 AM, christiaan pauw wrote:
>
>> Hi Everybody
>>

>> Im on Mac OS X 10.6.6
>>

>> $ sw_vers
>> ProductName: Mac OS X
>> ProductVersion: 10.6.6
>> BuildVersion: 10J3210
>>

>> I am trying to install the latest version of JavaGD from source using the
>> GUI Package & Data > Package Installer >CRAN (Sources) but get the
>> following error.
>>

> You'll need to install Xcode (see the Mac FAQ).
>

>> trying URL '
>> http://cran.za.r-project.org/src/contrib/RPostgreSQL_0.2-1.tar.gz'
>>
>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 428050 bytes (418 Kb)
>>
>> opened URL

>> downloaded 418 Kb
>>

>> * installing *source* package ŒRPostgreSQL‚ ...
>>
>> ** package ŒRPostgreSQL‚ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>
>> checking for gcc... no
>>
>> checking for cc... no
>>
>> checking for cl.exe... no
>>
>> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
>>
>> See `config.log' for more details.
>>
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package ŒRPostgreSQL‚
>>
>> * removing
>> Œ/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library/RPostgreSQL‚
>>

>> The message says "checking for gcc... no" but I have  gcc installed:
>> (from terminal)
>> $ which gcc
>> /Developer/usr/bin/gcc
>>

> It means you didn't install Xcode unix system tools. In that case
> you have to make sure they are on the PATH in the shell that you are
> using R CMD INSTALL on (again, see the FAQ)

A possible extra point: if R CMD INSTALL is being run from
install.packages() and that is being run from R.app, it is the PATH
setting of the R.app process that is most relevant. I set mine in the
~/.Renviron file to get consistency between different R invocations.

If you want to set an environment variable for all applications
(Windows-style!) then
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1067/_index.html
might be helpful.