[R-SIG-Mac] Cannot install RPostgreSQL from source but I have gcc

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 25 15:14:40 CET 2011

On Nov 25, 2011, at 2:52 AM, christiaan pauw wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>

> Im on Mac OS X 10.6.6
>

> $ sw_vers
> ProductName: Mac OS X
> ProductVersion: 10.6.6
> BuildVersion: 10J3210
>

> I am trying to install the latest version of JavaGD from source using the
> GUI Package & Data > Package Installer >CRAN (Sources) but get the
> following error.

You'll need to install Xcode (see the Mac FAQ).

> trying URL '
> http://cran.za.r-project.org/src/contrib/RPostgreSQL_0.2-1.tar.gz'
>
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 428050 bytes (418 Kb)
>
> opened URL

> downloaded 418 Kb
>

> * installing *source* package ŒRPostgreSQL‚ ...
>
> ** package ŒRPostgreSQL‚ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> checking for gcc... no
>
> checking for cc... no
>
> checking for cl.exe... no
>
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
>
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ŒRPostgreSQL‚
>
> * removing
> Œ/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library/RPostgreSQL‚
>

> The message says "checking for gcc... no" but I have  gcc installed:
> (from terminal)
> $ which gcc
> /Developer/usr/bin/gcc

It means you didn't install Xcode unix system tools. In that case you have to make sure they are on the PATH in the shell that you are using R CMD INSTALL on (again, see the FAQ)

BTW: is there any reason why you're not using the binaries? JavaGD is available as binary and PostgreSQL is not a dependency thereof ...