[R-SIG-Mac] R Workspace Browser filterable and sortable (pref by size)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu May 26 20:42:27 CEST 2011

David,

On May 26, 2011, at 1:53 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On May 26, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

>>> I had not. That _is_ a nice surprise.
>>
>> For the records the Mac GUI now makes usage of the rcompgen package AND it's configurable (see ?rcompgen).
>>

>>> It might be more user-friendly if logic could be installed that detects when the window is at the bottom of the screen (as I generally set up my display) because the scroll is currently only "drop-down" (which disappears) and it would be nice if it would "drop-up". Or perhaps a preference switch that could be "up" or "down"?
>>
>> If there's enough space under the current edited line it will come up as "drop-down" otherwise, if the RConsole window is at the bottom of the screen, it'll come up as "drop-up". In future I would like to replace the standard Mac completion approach by a self-written "narrow-down-while-typing-list", maybe including the chance to customise its appearance; and maybe to implement a kind of auto-completion. Be patient ;)
>>

> For me running R 2.13.0 beta under OSX 10.5.8 with GUI 1.41 (5800) x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0,  it still only "drops-down", (and effectively disappears) even when I make a special effort to bump the console border against the bottom of my screen. (There had been a small gap when I tried it before). But maybe this difference in behavior is because I have not yet seen sufficient reason to take my Leopard onto Snow country.
>
> On the other hand I discovered that I can replace much of my grepping if I know the starting letters. AND I can then "arrow-scroll" through the more constrained choices. Nice.
>
> I guess I would have thought that the default should be to "drop-up"

It's nor our call - it's not us actually creating and any drop-down or up - it's your system (we are only providing the list of completion strings) so the behavior appears to be a bug in the OS that has been fixed in Snow Leopard. So, as Hans said, until we create our own custom completion UI (which he suggested) you get what your system gives you  ;).