[R-SIG-Mac] R Workspace Browser filterable and sortable (pref by size)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 26 19:53:13 CEST 2011

On May 26, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> On 26 May 2011, at 18:19, David Winsemius wrote:
>> On May 26, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Timothy Bates wrote:
>>>
>>> Fantastic that the revamped editor has variable finding (type
>>> yourData$ then tab if you have not already)!!
>> I had not. That _is_ a nice surprise.
>
> For the records the Mac GUI now makes usage of the rcompgen package
> AND it's configurable (see ?rcompgen).
>

>> It might be more user-friendly if logic could be installed that
>> detects when the window is at the bottom of the screen (as I
>> generally set up my display) because the scroll is currently only
>> "drop-down" (which disappears) and it would be nice if it would
>> "drop-up". Or perhaps a preference switch that could be "up" or
>> "down"?
>
> If there's enough space under the current edited line it will come
> up as "drop-down" otherwise, if the RConsole window is at the bottom
> of the screen, it'll come up as "drop-up". In future I would like to
> replace the standard Mac completion approach by a self-written
> "narrow-down-while-typing-list", maybe including the chance to
> customise its appearance; and maybe to implement a kind of auto-
> completion. Be patient ;)

For me running R 2.13.0 beta under OSX 10.5.8 with GUI 1.41 (5800)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0,  it still only "drops-down", (and
effectively disappears) even when I make a special effort to bump the
console border against the bottom of my screen. (There had been a
small gap when I tried it before). But maybe this difference in
behavior is because I have not yet seen sufficient reason to take my
Leopard onto Snow country.

On the other hand I discovered that I can replace much of my grepping
if I know the starting letters. AND I can then "arrow-scroll" through
the more constrained choices. Nice.

I guess I would have thought that the default should be to "drop-up"
since one would be expected to be typing near the bottom of the
screen. Just a thought. I was reasonably happy with just grepping at
the command line.  Please take my thanks for everything done to
improve this platform. You guys are doing a great job of supporting us
for very little pay, so I very much hope your respective organizations
are treating you well.

--
david.