[R-SIG-Mac] R Workspace Browser filterable and sortable (pref by size)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 26 18:19:58 CEST 2011

On May 26, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Timothy Bates wrote:

> Hi all,
> Fantastic that the revamped editor has variable finding (type
> yourData$ then tab if you have not already)!!

I had not. That _is_ a nice surprise. It might be more user-friendly
if logic could be installed that detects when the window is at the
bottom of the screen (as I generally set up my display) because the
scroll is currently only "drop-down" (which disappears) and it would
be nice if it would "drop-up". Or perhaps a preference switch that
could be "up" or "down"?

> I often find still, however, that in a workflow I repeatedly run
> "names(myData)” because I can’t remember how a variable is named in
> a data set.

I generally use (at the console window):

  grep(patt, names(dfrm), value=TRUE)

... since I have 100-200 names per dataframe and I only want to see
the 5- 15 names that have a particular two or three letter string in
them.

> I think Workspace Browser is underused in this respect: It actually
> replaces a lot of the visual benefit that a spreadsheet offers for
> thinking about dataFrame).

And look at that.... clickable arrows to expand tables and dataframes!

> Workspace Browser could become even more widely used and helpful if
> it had:
>   1. A filter like the lovely history browser

I had overlooked that search window at the top of the History panel.
NICE.

I guess that is the grep functionality.

>    2. Sortable by object, type, structure, (and preferably size for
> spotting space hogs)
>
> Wishlist… :-)

Thanks for educating me and thanks to Simon and Hans-Joerg and anyone
else whose work contributes to the Mac version and the GUI improvements.