[R-SIG-Mac] import data Mac OS

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon May 2 16:04:08 CEST 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 6:28 AM, Thor Jensen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am unable to write a pathway to .csv files saved on my computer.  I
> can get this to work on a windows machine, but the mac returns a
> message saying the file does not exist.  Any tips on how to import
> data on mac's?  For example, the below line was unsuccesful.
> read.csv(file="Macintosh HD:Users:ThorJ:Desktop:heightweight.csv"

One really slick way to get properly constructed paths is to drag the
file to the console. An example of the results of doing so on my system:

/Users/davidwinsemius/Desktop/Lecture.schedule.txt

As you can see, you don't need the volume name for the default volume
and you would probably be better off using "/"'s.

Here is an example of a path to a mounted CD:

/Volumes/VFF0664/SILKYPIX/SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE Installer.pkg

--
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories