[R-SIG-Mac] LLVM gfortran on Lion

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jul 25 17:18:07 CEST 2011

Bill,

On Jul 24, 2011, at 11:34 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> I was browsing the opensource packages  for Xcode 4.1 and I notice that LLVM-gcc sources seem to include gfortran.  Whereas the gcc sources do not.
>
> However, I have installed Xcode 4.1 on Lion and it does not include gfortran.
>
> Has anyone tried building LLVM-gcc gfortran  on Lion?

I did not - I built the regular gcc-42 fortran as we did for SL (it's available from the usual place). Anecdotal evidence from the Web suggests that the LLVM Fortran produces slower code than the gcc Fortran. However, if you build LLVM Fortran, let me know how it goes and if it's not too painful I will try to compare both of them.

Thanks,