[R-SIG-Mac] R editor for Mac

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Sat Jan 29 14:04:55 CET 2011

Dear All,

Although this question was asked and answered many times, one editor was
never mentioned:

As a long-time Mac user I prefer "nedit" for the following reasons:

- it was developed by people who wanted to have a Mac-like editor on Linux

- it is almost as powerful as emacs but much easier to use and much faster

- it has built-in syntax highlighting for many languages

- it has also syntax highlighting for R, simply install "R-5.3.pats"
(which I attach)

- it is incredible fast, e.g.:

   -- it can open text files of sizes larger than 500 MB in few seconds
      (e.g. the Affymetrix annotation file
HuEx-1_0-st-v2.na31.hg19.probeset.csv)

   -- searching such large files is also incredible fast

   -- it opens a C++ source code with 10,000 lines immediately (in
contrast to emacs)

For these reasons I use nedit daily since more than 10 years on both
Linux and Mac.

Best regards
Christian
C.h.r.i.s.t.i.a.n   S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a