[R-SIG-Mac] Will RcppEigen be available on MacOS X?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Dec 21 02:40:00 CET 2011

(My reply will probably bounce at r-sig-mac where I am not subscribed.)

Slava,

On 21 December 2011 at 12:26, Slava Razbash wrote:
| Hello,
|
| Will RcppEigen be available on MacOS X soon? Currently, the CRAN page
| says that it is not be available on MacOS X:
| http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppEigen/index.html
|
| I have been informed that it compiles fine on an Intel machine and
| that the issue is probably PowerPC related.

As discussed in earlier emails, this is somewhat complicated. On the one
hand, it is a bit of a "Simon" issue at CRAN as Simon (whom I added as a CC)
only admits packages that build on OS X for 32 and 64 bit Intel as well as
ppc, and Eigen fails to crosscompile for ppc.  So no go there.

Eigen's upstream is also not in a position to fix things, and understandably
reluctant to cater for an outdated and known-as-buggy compiler, ie g++-4.2.1.

Rock, meet hard place: We're stuck.

So something has to change for this to improve.  Either we manage to petition
Simon to whitelist packages even if they do not produce 'three architecture'
fat binaries.  Or else we all have to wait clang/llvm support for C++ on OS X
which may be a while.

| I intend to use RcppEigen as part of a package that must work on all platforms.

The package works.  As Romain told you again this morning, you can always
build RcppEigen from source on OS X.

Regards,  Dirk

| Thank You,
|
| Slava