[R-SIG-Mac] Will RcppEigen be available on MacOS X?

Wed Dec 21 03:51:07 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Slava Razbash <slava.razbash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Will RcppEigen be available on MacOS X soon? Currently, the CRAN page
> says that it is not be available on MacOS X:
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppEigen/index.html
>
> I have been informed that it compiles fine on an Intel machine and
> that the issue is probably PowerPC related.
>
> I intend to use RcppEigen as part of a package that must work on all platforms.

This is an interesting something.

Firstly, assuming you have XCode installed, you can install RcppEigen by:

R> install.packages("RcppEigen", type="source")

and it compiles fine.

It is interesting because there are other projects (outside of the R
universe) that use Eigen, but can't be compiled on OS X w/o using a
more modern version of gcc than OS X uses.

I probed the authors of that (other) library to see what gives, but
they essentially pointed out that even the Eigen devs suggest to use a
newer version of gcc, even though their main page only suggest gcc 4.2
or newer.

See:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97107&p=204676&hilit=eigen+mac#p204676

-steve