[R-SIG-Mac] How to make Mac 64-bit version feature complete?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Dec 16 19:11:49 CET 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 12:50 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> I’ll second that: It makes AppleScripting easier too: Calling “R.app” always works, instead of every user having to customise scripts with their app version R64.app vs R.app
>>>

>> That is fair enough. Do other users have an opinion either way?
>>

> I've never had any confusion at that level of using R.app or R64.app. I was really grateful that R64 was there when I needed it. There was some confusion about package availability for the 64-bit version a couple of years ago, but that seems to have faded away.
>

>>> I work around this by deleting one binary and renaming R64 to R.app
>>>

>> You can simply run
>>
>> lipo -create /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R \
>> /Applications/R64.app/Contents/MacOS/R \
>> -o /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R
>>
>> That will create the 3-way universal R.app as discussed.
>
> I don't read system commands very well. On my laptop with a hardware restriction to 4GB will that load R64.app if it's not needed?

Yes (practically). The above "lipo" command merges the 64-bit binary from R64.app into R.app (and thus R64.app becomes superfluous). By default this would make OS X 10.6+ pick 64-bit on machines that support it, even if they don't need it. You can override that behavior in the Finder, though. I'm not suggesting that it's a good thing, it's for those that would prefer just a single R.app for everything - which is what sparked this discussion.