[R-SIG-Mac] How to make Mac 64-bit version feature complete?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 18:50:35 CET 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> There's a huge benefit of doing that. I do develop Mac apps, and
>>> FAT binaries and libs makes the other apps referring to them to
>>> refer to single file path regardless of architecture. So this is
>>> benefit for developers. Another benefit is for Mac users, that
>>> they run single app regardless if they run on PPC, i386 only Intel
>>> (first Intel Macs ?!) or latest 64-bit Macs.
>>

>> I’ll second that: It makes AppleScripting easier too: Calling
>> “R.app” always works, instead of every user having to customise
>> scripts with their app version R64.app vs R.app
>>

> That is fair enough. Do other users have an opinion either way?

I've never had any confusion at that level of using R.app or R64.app.
I was really grateful that R64 was there when I needed it. There was
some confusion about package availability for the 64-bit version a
couple of years ago, but that seems to have faded away.

>> I work around this by deleting one binary and renaming R64 to R.app
>>

> You can simply run
>
> lipo -create /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R \
> /Applications/R64.app/Contents/MacOS/R \
> -o /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R
>
> That will create the 3-way universal R.app as discussed.

I don't read system commands very well. On my laptop with a hardware
restriction to 4GB will that load R64.app if it's not needed?