[R-SIG-Mac] How to make Mac 64-bit version feature complete?

Adam Strzelecki ono at java.pl
Wed Dec 7 15:07:53 CET 2011

Hello R Community,

I have recently started using R for my PhD work. Aside of that I am Mac and iOS developer since few years. As far I can see R package for Mac comes in two flavors, R (32-bit) and R64 (64-bit).

Correctly if I am wrong, but the only reason of such separation (rather doing single universal version for all PPC, i386 and x86_64) is Carbon dependency for various R packages? So 32-bit version is the one that uses native Quartz or OpenGL rendering, while 64-bit version is the one that can drive over 2GB of memory but falls back to X11 as Carbon isn't available for 64-bit.

Can anyone tell me what are the packages that still relay on Carbon (quartz renderer, rgl? anything else) that would need to be ported to Cocoa so 64-bit version will offer full functionality as 32-bit counterparts on Mac, instead of falling back to X11? I guess I could help quickly porting these parts into Cocoa, so we got single (3 architecture) binary.

Adam Strzelecki | nanoant.com

BTW. Who's the Mac package maintainer in R project?