[R-SIG-Mac] Call to test current R 2.13.0 beta and RCs - especially new GUI features!

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 8 19:04:42 CEST 2011

On 06-04-2011, at 00:19, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> It's the time of the year to test the new upcoming R release, but this time I'd like to ask as many users as possible to give the new R a spin, because there are many new features in the Mac GUI which increases the likelihood of bugs. It can be downloaded, as usual, from
>
> http://r.research.att.com/
>
> and for those of you that like deep links you probably want
>
> http://r.research.att.com/R-2.13-branch-leopard.pkg
>
> The new features in R itself can be found in the usual place, but this time the focus is also on the GUI and you can get list of new features in the GUI at
> https://svn.r-project.org/R-packages/trunk/Mac-GUI/NEWS
> Essentially the internal editor has been much re-written thanks to Hans-Jörg Bibiko and thus is much faster, more versatile (encoding selection, better auto-competion) and features shortcuts you know from Xcode (like <Ctrl><H> for help on the current function).

I have been playing around with the editor and the Help on the current function.
Ctrl+H operates reasonably well but the behaviour can be slightly strange

In the examples that follow, | indicates the position of the caret.

So with

aggregate(d|f[.....

Pressing Ctrl+H will give the help page for aggregate.

However in this case

aggre|gate(df[...

the word aggregate is entered in the Help search field.

And in this case

getOption("verbose")
suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(doBy))
summ|aryBy(height + weight + age ~ sample, data = df, FUN = mean)

with the caret within summaryBy I got help for options.
But if the caret is in the word "library" I'll get the help page for message.

I expected that Ctrl+H would first try to get help for the current word containing the caret/cursor just as it does in TextMate using the R bundle. And if that fails looks backwards.

Berend