[R-SIG-Mac] ATLAS BLAS

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Oct 21 03:39:20 CEST 2010

On Oct 20, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> I have R 2.11.1 installed (soon will update to R 2.12) and I appear to have a Nehalem-based Mac Pro.
>
> I'm trying to find documentation about how to set up R on my Mac so I'm using the ATLAS BLAS.

Well, you have to get it [=ATLAS] first. Then it's as easy as pointing the libRblas.dylib symlink to it.

I have a binary of ATLAS that you can use if you have Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) it's at
http://r.research.att.com/libatlas-MacPro.dylib

So the copy/paste steps (you have to be admin) are:

cd /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib
curl -O http://r.research.att.com/libatlas-MacPro.dylib
chmod a+x libatlas-MacPro.dylib
ln -sfn libatlas-MacPro.dylib libRblas.dylib

## if you want to go back to vecLib
cd /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib
ln -sfn libRblas.vecLib.dylib libRblas.dylib

## if you want to use R's BLAS (not as fast but more reliable)
cd /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib
ln -sfn libRblas.0.dylib libRblas.dylib

> I installed this version of R using the Mac installer R-2.11.1.pkg.
> Does this installer set up R that uses the ATLAS BLAS, or are there
> additional steps I need to take to have R use the ATLAS BLAS?
>
> Once R is up and running, can anyone tell me how I can determine
> which BLAS R is using?

Indirectly, just look at the output of
ls -l /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libRblas.dylib