[R-SIG-Mac] Easiest way to install R 2.12.0 on a Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Oct 18 15:51:01 CEST 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 6:20 AM, Richard R. Liu wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Up to now I've reinstalled all packages when upgrading R.  Is there an easier
> way.  I'm wondering whether just copying the contents of ~/Library/R/2.11 to
> ~/Library/R/2.12 followed by updating in Packages & Date > Package Installer >
> Update All in the R Console (R.app) would do the trick.

The whole point of using a version-dependent directories is exactly to prevent the chaos resulting from what you suggest. If you installed package at the system level then you can upgrade using the GUI:
Package Installer -> Get List -> Select Packages from R 2.11 (in the search menu) -> Install Selected

If you use user-local path like you mentioned above, you can always simply use
install.packages(.packages(TRUE,"~/Library/R/2.11/library"))