[R-SIG-Mac] Easiest way to install R 2.12.0 on a Mac

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 12:49:26 CEST 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Richard R. Liu wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Up to now I've reinstalled all packages when upgrading R.  Is there an easier
> way.  I'm wondering whether just copying the contents of ~/Library/R/2.11 to
> ~/Library/R/2.12 followed by updating in Packages & Date > Package Installer >
> Update All in the R Console (R.app) would do the trick.

I don't believe so.  Running

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)

should, though.  (You will find more discussion in the archives or the
rw-FAQ -- equally relevant for Mac binary packages.)

One thing to watch is that this does not update packages which are no
longer available or not available in binary form (rather a lot for
2.12.0 on the Mac), so

summary(packageStatus())

can be useful.

When you have an update from 2.x.y to 2.z.0 with z > x you should
reinstall all packages -- you don't need to in all cases but only the
experts know which.  Also, rendering of help improves continuously so
by updating you get the best available rendering.