[R-SIG-Mac] problem installing rjags package (Michael Braun)

William Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Mon Oct 11 02:44:57 CEST 2010

On 11/10/2010, at 3:03 AM, Michael Braun <braunm at mit.edu> wrote:
> In any event, what did seem to work is when I ran R as root, and then installed rjags.  I can now load the library even when not running R as root.  So perhaps there was some kind of permissions problem that was keeping R from accessing the jags library (which is in /usr/local/lib).  Is there a particular R library path variable that I should be looking at?  I do have /usr/local/lib as part of R_DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I do the MacOS porting for JAGS, but I have not tried to reproduce your problem.

Just as an observation, it is generally a bad idea to muck about with DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH on MacOS.  It is one of those places where MacOS differs from Linux.  Link time library paths should be in -L options of the link instruction.  Load time library paths are incorporated into the executables that link to dynamic libraries.

Those variables only need to be used when linking to dynamic libraries in a staging area rather than their proper installed location.   In this situation you need to set up a lot of other stuff as well.

Maybe the root user worked because it had a different environment which did not set those envars.

Cheers
Bill