[R-SIG-Mac] can't Rcmdr to work with R 2.12 on just one machine

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 14:50:48 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Vokey, John wrote:

> All,
>
>  No matter what I do (e.g., complete re-install of R and then Rcmdr
> (with dependencies=TRUE)), Rcmdr will not launch on just one of my
> computers (all running 10.6.5): it crashes (R becomes
> ``non-responding" as it loads Tcl).  It also happened on OS X 10.6.4
> (last week).  The computer is a two-week-old MacBook Pro.  Every
> other of my Intel Macs (all older), including 6 mos old otherwise
> identical MacBook Pros show no such problem.  Suggestions?

Does Simon's build of Tcl/Tk work on its own?  Have you installed the
correct version?

It seem pretty unlikely that the issue is in Rcmdr per se (and BTW, as
the posting guide says there is no 'R 2.12' and asks you not to use
the word 'crash').

If the issue is loading package tcltk and you have Xcode installed,
you can debug that by running R at the command line under gdb (R -d
gdb) and interrupt it to see where the problem is.

> See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

Please use a signature block for its proper purpose: see the posting
guide.  Please avoid sending me unsigned messages!