[R-SIG-Mac] Error in untar2(tarfile, files, list, exdir) : unsupported entry type ‘x’

Christopher Bare cbare at systemsbiology.org
Thu May 20 02:17:47 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm getting the following error when trying to build and install an R package:

Error in untar2(tarfile, files, list, exdir) : unsupported entry type ‘x’

I build the package like so:
R --no-init-file CMD build mypackage

Then try to install it:
sudo R --no-init-file CMD INSTALL mypackage.tar.gz

...which dies with the above error. I can extract the archive fine
with tar -zxf.

R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
OSX 10.6.3

I suspect this may be an OS X / Snow Leopard specific issue. It seems
that the entry type 'x' referred to above comes from tar.R and is the
type flag for "Extended header referring to the next file in the
archive" according the the GNU Basic Tar Format docs. Is Snow Leopard
adding some apple specific juju to my files that's causing this?

This was originally posted on r-help. Please excuse the cross-post.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

- chris