[R-SIG-Mac] Installing 2.11 while keeping previous version

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue May 11 21:47:46 CEST 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Richard Friedman wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> 	I want to install R.2.11 for Mac while keeping my previous versions (R.2.9 is the most recent.).
> I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8.
>
> On the installer the following note appears:
>
> Note: By default the installer upgrades previous Leopard build of R  if present. If you want to keep the previous Leopard build, use
> pkgutil --forget org.r-project.R.Leopard.fw.pkg
>
> Here is what happens when I try the command
>
> [richard-friedmans-computer:/usr/sbin] friedman% ./pkgutil --forget org.r-project.R.Leopard.fw.pkg
> No receipt for 'org.r-project.R.Leopard.fw.pkg' found at '/'.

I means that you did not install any previous version of the R framework for Leopard so there is nothing to forget.

If you want to make 100% sure that there are no other receipts, check your list of packages with something like

 pkgutil --pkgs | grep -i r-project

> In the past I used to remove R-Framework.pkg from Library/Receipts but I am not sure that this will work this time.

OS X 10.5 and higher no longer use Library/Receipts for native (flat) packages - but they might for legacy packages so if your package is way old, check there. However, the currently distributed R is Leopard build and a flat package, so it should be irrelevant given the message above.