[R-SIG-Mac] Advice on setting my options for the old q() for quitting the R GUI

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue May 11 15:51:18 CEST 2010

Ian,

On May 10, 2010, at 8:27 PM, Ian Dworkin wrote:

> Hi All
>
>  As I just upgraded to a new macbook pro, I finally updated to R 2.11.0.   I was hoping for a quick suggestion on how to set it so that I can utilize q() or quit() as I use to back in the good old days of 2.9.x !!

As the message says, if you really want to do that and kill all your documents, you can either use base::q() or base::quit() directly or (as NEWS say) set "RGUI.base.quit" option to TRUE if you want the old (dangerous) behavior.

Just as a reminder the only safe way to close the R GUI is <Cmd><Q> (followed by <Cmd><D> or <Enter> depending on whether you want to save the workspace or not) otherwise the GUI is killed instead of closed resulting in potential data loss.