[R-SIG-Mac] R2.11 Rattle & Co

Richard R. Liu richard.liu at pueo-owl.ch
Wed May 5 09:23:12 CEST 2010

Simon, Morgan,

I have the latest version of Rattle, 2.5.30, correctly installed, I
think, and running on R version 2.11.0 Patched (2010-05-01 r51879)
under OS X 10.5.8.  I have the same problem as you, Morgan, i.e., the
Gtk warning "Unable to find default local directory monitor type".
Here is a run that provokes the message:

R version 2.11.0 Patched (2010-05-01 r51879)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[R.app GUI 1.34 (5584) i386-apple-darwin9.8.0]

[Workspace restored from /Users/richard/.RData]

 > library(rattle)
Rattle: Graphical interface for data mining using R.
Version 2.5.30 Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
 > rattle()

(R:2547): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to find default local directory
monitor type

The rattle() function seems to start X11.  This takes some time.  When
the X11 console finally appears, ensure that Data is the active tab
and Source is set to Spreadsheet.  Click the Filename button.  On my
installation that is sufficient to cause the warning.  Is that your
experience, Morgan?  It might be necessary to begin browsing in the
Select A File dialog.  In that case, select All Files in the file type
dropdown, navigate to, say, a tab-separated file, and click Open.  I
enclose such a file for your convenience.

Regards,
Richard