[R-SIG-Mac] Help, R crashes on startup

Julie Falcon julie.falcon at unil.ch
Mon Jun 21 16:34:59 CEST 2010

Dear "R team",

I am a regular user of R as a social scientist, and since last friday
for the first time I've been facing serious problems using R on a Mac
computer.

I couldn't launch anymore R, it was cashing before it could open. I've
searched on the internet to find solutions to my problem. In the first
instance, it was useful, I realised that the file "history.txt" was the
cause of the crash
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#R_002eapp-GUI-crashes-on-startup_0021).

So, I removed it and R worked again until... this morning.

I am facing the same problem again, although I can't identify anymore
the reason of the crash. This is not caused by "history.txt" file, nor
by "workspace.rdata". I've reinstalled several times the R application
(the lastest one, ie. 2.11.1 as well as an older version 2.8.1) but this
doesn't change anything.

I don't know what to do, therefore I email you to ask you if you could
help me.

I've attached a "R crash report" that may help you, but it was generated
by my computer, not by R (I couldn't find a R crash.log).

I hope this can help you.

Many thanks in advance,

Best wishes,

Julie Falcon