[R-SIG-Mac] dblepr for 64B R

Roger Koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 16 23:24:13 CEST 2010

I'm trying to understand why 64B R produces an insane answer/plot
to the first

	example(crq)

in my quantreg package, whereas 32B R produces a sane answer
with the same data.  This involves some fortran and in my usual
primitive fashion I've been trying to debug with fortran printing
using the tried and true call dblepr.  However, in my test function
call dblepr prints  values like
[1] 1.644287e-313

even though the function returns the sane, correct values.  Is this
a known issue, and if so is there an alternative strategy for
printing from fortran in 64b R?

TIA for any enlightenment.
Roger

PS.  In the hope that someone will tell me that all would be well
if I only followed directions and upgraded R,  I'll sheepishly admit:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 Under development (unstable) (2010-02-18 r51149)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

PPS.  The fact that I can run 32B R on the same machine by simply
typing R --arch i386  is one of the great advances of modern science
in my opinion, or at least I thought so, until I discovered this discrepancy
in what was being computed by the two versions.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801