[R-SIG-Mac] Hang with help link to pdf overview file

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 21:30:30 CEST 2010

A post to r-help today prompted me to see if I could reproduce the
problems the poster was having with a hang as a result of access to a
pdf vignette for package zoo. I was not able to get a hang with using
(from the GUI):
vignette("zoo")
but I was able to get a hang when access the zoo help Index and
choosing the "overview" link at the top of the help browser page. The
OP was using R 2.11.1, while I was using R 2.10.1. We both were using
OSX 10.5.8.

I then updated to yesterdays stable  R 2.11.1 from the ATT page and
can still get the segfault, although it no longer hangs. It lets me
exit gracefully and even lets me copy portions of the console window:

 > ?zoo
starting httpd help server ... done

  *** caught segfault ***
address 0x101e90000, cause 'memory not mapped'

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace

Selection:

The original r 2.10.1 setup ....

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 RC (2009-12-09 r50695)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] zoo_1.6-3      lattice_0.18-3

[1] grid_2.10.1  tools_2.10.1

The error report from R 2.10.1 is available if anyone is interested.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT