[R-SIG-Mac] RQuantLib missing binaries

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jun 10 20:46:10 CEST 2010

On Jun 10, 2010, at 2:15 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Kyle Matoba wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if there was any plans to get this up and running again:
>>
>> http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/RQuantLib-00install.html
>>
>> If not, I will compile it myself.
>
> You may not find it easy.  The issue is that RQuantLib depends on QuantLib, in fact on a recent version of QuantLib (later than the one in the current Fedora distribution, for example).  QuantLib is a large C++ suite of programs, and I've failed to compile it on Linux in the past, and when I have succeeded the package failed its own tests.
>
>> I don't see anything in the changelog to indicate that this is
>> deliberate.  Could whomever is compiling for macs look into this?
>
> It is done by Simon Urbanek's autobuiilder.  I don't see anything which indicates that it is not deliberate ....
>
> If you look at the packages which are not being built by the Mac autobuiilder you will see three main reasons why:
>
> (a) the package fails its tests, e.g. lme4
> (b) the package depends on other packages which are not available on the build machine, usually from BioC or OmegaHat.
> (c) the package depends on external software.
>
> RQuantLib is in category (c), and very few such packages are being built (not even Simon's own packages GDD and proj4).

If a package depends on external software it is built only if a) there is some demand for it and b) the dependencies can be built into self-contained static libraries with reasonably moderate effort.

Now, since a) has been satisfied by this e-mail I was able to compile QuantLib and it is now available on the CRAN machine, but as Brian pointed out RQuantLib doesn't even pass its own checks, so despite our efforts there will be no binary. If you still want to build it despite it failing its own checks, you can get the QuantLib binary from
http://r.research.att.com/libs/
(beware, it's huge) and put the "boost" directory (containing the headers) from the Boost source distribution in /usr/local/include and you'll be able to compile RQuantLib for yourself.