[R-SIG-Mac] R texteditor for mac OS

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Jun 4 17:44:04 CEST 2010

Le ven. 04 juin à 08:55, Steve Lianoglou a écrit :

>> still i have the problem with the curly braces. if I hit alt+8 / alt+9 which is supposed to create curly braces on a mac,
>
> Hmm ... this is news to me.
>
> I'm guessing this might be some international keyboard issue? Eg. on
> my (US) keyboard, the curly brace is shift-[ and shift-].

It is. For example, on my French Canadian keyboard, I enter {, }, [, ] with Option-7, 8, 9, 0, respectively. Problem is, by default Emacs on OS X assigns Option to Meta, so what Emacs receives is Meta-7, etc.

My cure for that: use Command for Meta and ditch all the Macish keybindings in Emacs. This is in part what motivated me to build a non-Macified distribution of GNU Emacs for OS X; see

	http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/emacs/mac

So, to assign Command to Meta insert the following in your .emacs file (located in your personal directory):

(setq-default ns-command-modifier 'meta) ; Command is Meta
(setq-default ns-option-modifier 'none)	 ; Option is Option

Just don't expect Command-C/V/X to work for copy/paste/cut. You'll have to learn the Emacs keybindings (M-w, C-y, C-w). Good thing: these are the same on all Emacsen on all platforms.

Vincent Goulet
École d'actuariat, Université Laval