[R-SIG-Mac] [R] lme4 + R 2.11.0 + mac unavailable

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 31 13:24:39 CEST 2010

Let us be clear about what the issue seems to be.  On i386 Mac (and
not on x86_64 Mac)

library(lme4)
y <- (1:20)*pi; x <- (1:20)^2;group <- gl(2,10)
M2. <- lmer (y ~ 1 + x + (1 + x | group))
M2 <- lmer (y ~ x + ( x | group))
identical(fixef(M2), fixef(M2.))

usually fails the first time but if you run it again it is usually
true, e.g. following on gave

> fixef(M2); fixef(M2.)
(Intercept)           x
  15.2354383   0.1855865
(Intercept)           x
  15.2354486   0.1855864
> M2. <- lmer (y ~ 1 + x + (1 + x | group))
> fixef(M2.)
(Intercept)           x
  15.2354383   0.1855865

I think 'later version of MacOS' is most likely someone not
understanding that x86_64 is the default for 'R' on Snow Leopard.
I've just checked this on Leopard and Snow Leopard.  *But* it is not
repeatable, as sometimes I get TRUE the first run in a session -- and
once that happens it seems to keep happening until a reboot or I
reinstall lme4.

I ran this under valgrind (on Leopard: there is now experimental
valgrind support for SL, but I've not installed it as yet) and saw no
reports of problems.  However, on one of the times I tried it under
valgrind  the result was further away:
> fixef(M2.)
(Intercept)           x
  15.2381811   0.1856179
and persistent.

For completeness, I also saw this using R's reference BLAS rather than
the (default on a CRAN build) Apple 'veclib' BLAS.

So the issue appears to be one of repeating the calculation and
getting different answers.  That does look like a i386-Mac-specific
bug, but whether this is worth not distributing a binary for is
something for the lme4 authors to judge -- if not then a
platform-specific test opt-out seems the best way forward.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, John Maindonald wrote:

> Is optimisation of code a possibility, i.e., the same algebraic
> calculations done in a slightly different way depending on the state
> of various registers? E.g., (ab)c vs a(bc), but it would almost
> certainly be more subtle than that. That seems to me the sort of
> thing that is likely to be Mac-specific.

But the Mac shares a compiler with lots of other platforms, and the
gcc optimizer for i386 is pretty much shared across platforms (albeit
the Mac gcc is now rather old, but is of similar vintage to that used
on Windows for R 2.11.x).  In any case, this is not (in my
experiments) an issue of numerical accuracy but of repeatability,