[R-SIG-Mac] iPad?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Jan 30 17:55:44 CET 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 2:00 AM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> Erm... Not so difficult, the iPhone toolchain is using gcc and it wouldn't be hard to make an ARM gfortran... I think Simon did on a lark when the iPhone came out.

Indeed, R has no crucial issues on arm - the support is there from the times of the iPhone and it works with the stock Apple SDK. The usability issue was the main reason to not pursue this further. That is different for the iPad as it has a multi-core CPU, better FPU and a decent screen with a keyboard so it would make much more sense. Clearly, we'd have to add a UIKit  implementation of Quartz and maybe an UIKit console, but it certainly more reasonable than on the iPhone.

That said, I still think the more sensible approach is the remote-GUI one (Byron is the expert on this ;)).

> The real problem is actually getting it onto the App Store since R is not allowed given current rules (no programming languages). Interestingly, if you were to use R to build an application that was NOT a programming language, that would be fine. (there are Smalltalk and Mono-based Apps in the store).

I don't think the programming language would be the main concern (that's something we could talk to Apple about - they usually like scientific apps), but I suspect they may have more objections to the dynamic linking that R uses - I don't think they would let us download/use packages.