[R-SIG-Mac] iPad?

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 30 08:00:31 CET 2010

Erm... Not so difficult, the iPhone toolchain is using gcc and it
wouldn't be hard to make an ARM gfortran... I think Simon did on a
lark when the iPhone came out.

The real problem is actually getting it onto the App Store since R is
not allowed given current rules (no programming languages).
Interestingly, if you were to use R to build an application that was
NOT a programming language, that would be fine. (there are Smalltalk
and Mono-based Apps in the store).

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM, David Winsemius
<dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2010, at 11:06 PM, Matthew Cohen wrote:
>
>> I think it might be worthwhile to think about getting R to work on the
>> iPad, especially if it can access iWork/Numbers spreadsheets...  I realize
>> someone brought up trying this on the iPhone a couple of years back, and no
>> one was able to figure out what the point would be.  But R on the iPad seems
>> like it would be genuinely useful...
>>
>> I'm not sure that I have much to contribute in terms of making this
>> happen, but I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with the iPhone SDK
>> (especially anyone who has played around with 3.2) knows how feasible it
>> would be...
>
> Show us an open-source C and Fortran compiler for the iPad.
>
> --
>
> David Winsemius, MD
> Heritage Laboratories
> West Hartford, CT