[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.10.1, OSX 10.4.11, and maybe a firewall]]

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Jan 19 01:49:46 CET 2010

I changed the plist defaults per Simon's suggestion (below). Here's what
I got:

Results:
web browser comes right up with the desired help page,  URL is
http://127.0.0.1:23285/library/base/html/assign.html  (for ?assign)

The R internal help page launches as well and remains blank.

If the "fuzzy logic" matching page comes up,  no action occurs in the
web browser, i.e. no new page, no error, etc.

% library(help=BB) brings up the usual text window with the library info
in R

The following links showed up in the R Package Manager window-- but I
can't figure out how I made something show up there.  Clicking on them
does nothing. Clicking on various installed package names in the upper
half of the window does nothing.

http://127.0.0.1:19566/library/plotrix/html/00Index.html#Z
http://127.0.0.1:19566/doc/html/index.html

Then closing Package Mgr window and reopening left the bottom clear,
can't reload anything into it.

And I briefly got the "help topics matching BB" to load, although links
in the text in lower panel don't work.  The upper window doesn't respond
to clicks on topics.
http://127.0.0.1:19566/library/BB/help/multiStart.

Note also that ??plotrix brought up matches for plotrix but did NOT
clear or write anything in bottom panel; BBoptim was still shown there.

There are no browser or R console crash logs (which makes sense since
neither app crashed or hung).

I don't know if this is relevant, but there is something a little bit
wrong with my computer's MacOS Help app. If I open the help window from
the Help menu, I generally get about its hyperlinks to work the first 5
times or so.  If I ever try to click a second time on the "Index" link,
nothing happens and no links work from then on.  Deleting the
Helpviewer.plist file, quitting Help, and restarting Help gives me
another 5 working links again..

I am beginning to fear a system reinstall is necessary. This will be
painful because the firewall blocks "system update" so I'll have to find
all the updaters manually.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.
Carl