[R-SIG-Mac] R2.10 vs OSX 10.4.11

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Thu Jan 14 00:41:39 CET 2010

I confirmed that I'm running OSX 10.4.11, on an Intel iMac (4 yrs old or
so).  I am using Default FolderX, FinderPop, and Logitech COntrol Center
Panes.

OK, here's the startup info from the console:

the console says..

*********
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
Copyright (C) 2009 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
[skip dull stuff]

[R.app GUI 1.31 (5538) i386-apple-darwin8.11.1]

[Workspace restored from /Users/carl/Learning/Rgames/.RData]

Rgames: ?assign
starting httpd help server ... done
Rgames:

(where "Rgames" is my prompt.

AFter that,
help window opens, blank, etc.  If I use the "fuzzy match" window  the
package list shows up but nothing writes to lower half of window.

And as you asked, I am behind a firewall at work.  This is not something
I can modify.  So, how do I 'tell'  R not to go looking for online help?
I hope I didn't misunderstand your comment here -- but certainly no
application should ever depend on an internet connection to function!

If I run help.start(), a page does open in my browser and I can search
all packages which are on my machine.

But just typing ?assign,  or ? followed by any command from any basic
package, or any package I've installed manually, will bring up the GUI's
help window, which is always completely blank.  And I checked: menu
commands like "select all" are dimmed, which is consistent with an empty
document window.

I turned off all my Unsanity APE-related stuff, uninstalled
ApplicationEnhancer, ran Disk Utility (no errors), and rebooted.  I also
logged into my "emergency account," which I keep clean and unused, and R
behaved the same way there.

Thanks for helping, and please let me know what other tests I can do to
try to track down this problem.