[R-SIG-Mac] Package loading problem

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 12 23:44:51 CET 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 16:33 , Murray Jorgensen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have downloaded and installed R 2.10.1 to my Mac running OS X
> 10.5.8.
>
> Hardware Overview:
>
>  Model Name:	iMac
>  Model Identifier:	iMac7,1
>  Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
>  Processor Speed:	2.4 GHz
>  Number Of Processors:	1
>  Total Number Of Cores:	2
>  L2 Cache:	4 MB
>  Memory:	1 GB
>  Bus Speed:	800 MHz
>  Boot ROM Version:	IM71.007A.B03
>  SMC Version (system):	1.20f4
>  Serial Number (system):	W87438YWX86
>  Hardware UUID:	00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B63AA8FF1
> [In case this is relevant!]
>
> I have tgz files for all the packages [plus some other files] in /
> Applications/tgz10.1   .
> When I attempt to use the R Package Installer and select the tzg10.1
> folder as the "Local Package Directory" the result that I get is

You are using the wrong menu item - that menu is for installing
*package directories* i.e. packages in unpacked form. For .tgz files
you want to use "Local binary package". But, please, note that
installing packages that way is only for very, very special cases -
normally you should use "CRAN (binaries)" instead because that takes
care of dependencies, downloading, installation etc.