[R-SIG-Mac] Bitmap and undesired rotated figure

Andrej andrej.kastrin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 22:19:40 CET 2010

Hi,

I encounter the problem using bitmap function to plot pdf type figures
in an array (calling mfrow function). Consider the following three
examples:

# Example 1
bitmap("test1.pdf", type="pdfwrite", units="mm", height=50, width=100)
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plot(1:5)
plot(1:10)
dev.off()

# Example 2
pdf("test2.pdf",height=5,width=10)
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plot(1:5)
plot(1:10)
dev.off()

# Example 3
bitmap("test3.pdf", type="pdfwrite", units="mm", height=50, width=100)
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plot(rnorm(100))
plot(rnorm(100))
dev.off()

In Example1 the figure is roteted; this is not the case in the Example
3 where I call rnorm() function. Example 2 seems fine. The gs version
installed is:

gs -v
GPL Ghostscript 8.70 (2009-07-31)
Copyright (C) 2009 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Could somebody reproduce these examples and/or explain me why the
plots in the second example are rotated.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Andrej