[R-SIG-Mac] R GUI with different version of R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 15 14:59:01 CET 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:05 AM, William Northcott wrote:

> I have multiple versions of R installed.
>
> The default is set with RSwitch to 2.9.  This is what runs from a shell.
>
> If I start the R.app gui which is from 2.10 I get a crash:
>>
>> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>>
>> Error in strsplit(x[ok], "[.-]") :
>>  5 arguments passed to .Internal(strsplit) which requires 6
>> Error in strsplit(msg, "\n") :
>>  5 arguments passed to .Internal(strsplit) which requires 6
>> Error in strsplit(x[ok], "[.-]") :
>>  5 arguments passed to .Internal(strsplit) which requires 6
>>
>> *** caught segfault ***
>> address 0xc000000c, cause 'memory not mapped'
>>
>> Possible actions:
>> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
>> 2: normal R exit
>
> As I understood the FAQ this should have worked.

No -- see FAQ 12.15:

"The advanatage of this setup is that it is possible to install multiple R versions in parallel and they all will be fully functional as long as the Current symbolic link points to the currently used version."

Note the last part of the sentence.

>  Is it possible to use a current R gui with older frameworks?

No, the GUI embeds R so a given binary works only with a very specific version of R. You can *compile* the GUI for any R version but the binary will be tied to a specific R version.