[R-SIG-Mac] R on iphone with issh

Roger Koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 18 00:50:42 CET 2010

There seems to have been quite a lot of gnashing of teeth
about running R on the iphone, but having recently installed
issh on my iphone4 and found it capable of running R remotely -- complete
with forwarded x11 graphics, I've been wondering what all
the fuss was about.  Granted one would have to be rather
desperate to do anything very elaborate on the iphone, but
it would seem much more likely to be useful when invoking
an R session on a remote machine that you already were familiar
with than running de novo on the phone itself.  Setup was quite easy
once you are able to login to a remote machine, you need only to
enable x forwarding, and the dwm window manager and
then invoking a plot command sends graphics that are viewable
by tapping the X symbol in the upper right corner of the screen
(twice).

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801