[R-SIG-Mac] learning R

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Dec 10 22:25:50 CET 2010

I agree with you completely about ``begging the question''.  The
nearly universal misuse of this expression drives me crazy.  I'm
not so sure about ``steep learning curve'' however.  My impression
is that this phrase has *always* been used to convey the idea that
a subject area is difficult to learn, whence to use it (as you suggest)
in the sense that the subject area can be learned quickly would be to
change the original meaning of the phrase.  That would be undesirable,
even given that the original meaning is counter-intuitive.

I recall having heard/read a ``justification'' for the original meaning
to the effect that what is envisaged is plotting effort expended on
the *y* axis and knowledge level on the *x* axis.  Thus a steep learning
curve would entail expending a great deal of effort for a small increase
in knowledge.

I agree that this is a silly choice of axes --- I certainly wouldn't make
such a choice.  But I don't suppose that there's any law against it.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner