[R-SIG-Mac] R on Mac 10.6 freezing

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 14:12:19 CEST 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Jesse Poland wrote:

> I am running R and R64 on a MacBook Pro (2.66GHz, 8GB, OS X 10.6)
> andit keeps freezing up on me (i.e. have to force quit or kill).
> Sameproblem with both R and R64.  I am not doing heavy computation,
> mostlyjust editing some scripts in the GUI.  Also the computer is
> plenty fastwith sufficient memory.  I looked around but haven't seen
> anything onthis problem.  Have also tried reinstalling R.

Things you might try:

1) delete your .RData file
2) delete your .Rhistory file  # both of these are hidden by default
so you need to either do it from a Terminal session or change the
defaults for display of system files in Finder
3) repair permissions (probably the easiest way is with Disk
Utility.app)

In the past I have had problems with R freezing up when I attempted to
access external links to pdf files from the help window when using the
GUI, but I have not been able to reproduce that behavior consistently.
If you can notice what you are doing just before the freeze, that
might be helpful.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT