[R-SIG-Mac] display to external device

Michael Lachmann lachmann at eva.mpg.de
Tue Aug 3 09:16:08 CEST 2010

On 3 Aug 2010, at 4:20AM, Abhishek Goel wrote:

> However, I usually connect to the Linux box via ssh from a machine
> running
> MacOSX using x11. When I run R remotely like this, is there a way to
> output
> the display from R on the linux server to the x11 on the MacOSX
> machine or
> have x11 on the mac launch quartz to display the plot from the linux
> server?

Try to log in with ssh doing
ssh -X server

This should redirect X11 through the ssh connection. Then plot should
open an x11 window, or you can open a display manually by entering
x11() in R.

You can check that the X11 redirection works by trying to launch
something like xterm from the linux box after you ssh to it, and see
if the xterm window opens on the mac.
The mac needs to have XDarwin installed, which it usually has.