[R-SIG-Mac] R graphs question

thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com
Thu Apr 29 23:17:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Apr 26, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Wang, Fei wrote:

> I am a newbie for R software. Recently I met a problem when I'm attempting to export R graphs to PowerPoint directly. Since we generate hundreds of graphs and want to export them to PPT at one time, is there any good solution to this?

Depends on how motivated you are. Here's one solution. It will take some effort to get going and requires a few programming skills, but once set up you can repeat the process painlessly.

First, you need to use Apple's Keynote. The Keynote file format is a regular zipped directory containing an XML file and the various media (e.g. pdfs, pngs). The XML format is documented here:

http://developer.apple.com/appleapplications/keynote-apxl.html

Given that and some trial and error, one can write a python script (or similar) to take a folder of graphs that you output from R and convert them into a Keynote presentation.

If you don't want to use Keynote as your final format, you can export the file into a huge PDF or a PowerPoint file.

And if you get something working and are willing to share, I'm sure several people on the list would be interested in seeing a working script!

How you intend to keep your audience awake for a presentation of hundreds of graphs is another problem entirely. :)

Cheers,
Demitri