[R-SIG-Mac] any advice on libtiff? (and rtiff)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 07:52:15 CEST 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> Hi, I know rtiff does not compile 'cause it can't find libtiff (per cran
> check logs).
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully installed libtiff, either from
> source or via MacPorts?  And if so,  is it then possible to build rtiff from
> the source and have everything work?

Yes, yes.  Simon and I have (separately) installed libtiff from the
sources and the static-library build is what is used for the CRAN R
distribution (at my behest).

When I tried rtiff it simply worked:

tystie% R CMD INSTALL rtiff_1.4.1.tar.gz
* installing to library ‘/Users/ripley/R/Library’
* installing *source* package ‘rtiff’ ...
checking for gcc... gcc
** testing if installed package can be loaded

* DONE (rtiff)

One arch only, as the package has a configure script.  Add others with
e.g.

tystie% R --arch=x86_64 CMD INSTALL --libs-only rtiff_1.4.1.tar.gz

> So far I've (naively) tried building libtiff3.9.2 from sources, but even
> though "make" seems to happily complete its job,  nothing seems to be
> installed anywhere useful.

Well, the latter is what 'make install' does, just like just about all
other Open Source packages.

But see http://r.research.att.com/libs/ for Simon's build.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk