[R-SIG-Mac] Failed tar extract

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 20 15:50:42 CEST 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 10:42 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> After nuking /Library/Frameworks/R.framework
> and installing the CRAN version the same
> devpack error messages are produced.
>
> Since I often have to install packages from
> source, I'd like the proper compile environment
> on my Mac.
>
> Is the issue with the devpack tar extraction
> a problem in this regard?  It appears that
> devpack materials are properly extracted to
> /usr/local... directories, but not to
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework directories.

It doesn't really matter because the devpack simply contains files that are otherwise shipped with R. I didn't get to see why it's not following the symlinks but if you install R form CRAN (or the nightly builds) you get those files anyway so you should be fine.

BTW: in addition to the devpack there are many other libraries in
http://r.research.att.com/libs/

which can be useful depending on the type of packages you're compiling from source.

Thanks,
Simon