[R-SIG-Mac] getting history() to work

David david.b.a.epstein at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 13 17:34:45 CEST 2010

On 13 Apr, 15:19, Simon Urbanek <simon.urba... at r-project.org> wrote:
> David,
>
> I think I can help you with that one -- I assume you did not hit
> <Enter>, < Tab> or any other key to commit the filename so it was
> never stored. When you're typing the file name it is not stored until
> you're finished with that field (i.e. when you close R before doing so
> it is taken as canceling the change).
>
> I agree that it can be a source of frustration - I'll see if we can
> change the behavior to auto-commit the change when the preference pane
> is closed (it's a little tricky because the pane is sort of
> independent of the window).
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Magic! After a couple of weeks of frustration, it finally works the
way it's supposed to.
Enhancement request:
Please add to the note about ~/.Rhistory.
"Terminate any new filename with 'Enter' '
or something along those lines.

I think this would be almost as effective as trying to make it auto-
commit on closing the preferences window, and much less effort.
Thanks for the help.
David