[R-SIG-Mac] [R] 64-bit OSX binary for 2.9.2

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Sep 15 03:55:04 CEST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 7:28 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 7:08 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2009, at 6:34 PM, Loren Engrav wrote:
>>
>> snipped
>>>
>>> 3-R.app available at http://r.research.att.com/ is 5426 but 5455
>>> 32 and 64
>>> bit available at
>>> http://r.research.att.com/R-GUI-5455-2.9-leopard-Leopard.dmg as
>>> per 8/6/09
>>> r-sig-mac discussion so I put in 5455; but why 5426 here and 5455
>>> there?
>>
>> Can't help you there. I have the 2.9.0 GUI [R.app GUI 1.29 (5463)
>> x86_64-apple-darwin9.7.0] running with the R 2.9.1 Patched and am
>> not having noticeable difficulties. My guess is that the "right"
>> way to do this would be to use 5426 with R 2.9.2
>
> And my guess appears to be wrong. I installed the current R-2.9-
> branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz using Lianglou's confrmation of my
> suggestion that sudo might need to prefix the ta command. Also
> downloaded the Mac OS X GUI rev. 5426 for R 2.1.xleopard-
> Leopard64.dmg file and dragged the R.app file to another loaction,
> renamed it R64new,app, and dragged it to the Applications folder.
> That GUI crashes while the old one launches R just fine. My newly
> installed R says it is R version 2.9.1 Patched (2009-07-04 r48897)
> but I seem to remember Urbanek saying that is misleading and that it
> really is 2.9.2

No, I never said that :). I had posted the correct link here before:
http://r.research.att.com/R-GUI-5473-2.9-leopard-Leopard64.dmg

Please DO note the 2.9 in the name! Clearly taking the R-devel version
of the GUI with R 2.9.2 is not supposed to work ...

>> Note to web page maintainer. The labels on the R-GUI's must be
>> wrong, they say "R 2.1.x". Is that supposed to say R 2.9.x and
>> 2.10.x?

2.1.x is supposed to say 2.10.x (hence R-devel, really) - it's just a
glitch in the script that generates the names on build which assume
one-character versions. I was hoping that common sense would be
applied here since the builds are R-2.9-patched and R-devel it should
be obvious that one is 2.9.x and the other 2.10.x ...

PS: Sometime this week I hope to get some spare time to create the SL-
safe R 2.9.2 package installer to save the suffering early
adopters ;). The real blame should go to Apple for screwing up Java so
badly, though ... ;)